Wednesday, November 2, 2011

lovely little recipe


Pumpkin Squares with Cream Cheese Icing

I know all the ingredients look overwhelming but I promise this recipe is a total cinch to make and your family will love you for bringing these to thanksgiving, especially if its your boyfriends family! I got this recipe from a friend I work with. I doubled the recipe because I wanted to experiment with chocolate chips in one batch. I ended up loving the chocolate chip ones even more than the regular ones!

Square Ingredients:
  • 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
      • 1 teaspoon salt
      • 1 teaspoon baking soda
      • 1 cup vegetable oil
      • 15-ounce can pumpkin
      • 4 Eggs
      • Chocolate Chips if you so desire (trust me, you desire!)
      Don't forget baking spray! I love Pam for Baking.

Icing Ingredients:
  • 8-ounce package softened cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract



-Preheat the oven to 350*

-In a medium mixing bowl combine the pumpkin, oil and sugar using an electric mixer. 


- Slowly add in your eggs one at a time while you continue mixing.



-It should look like this after you finish those steps.


-In a separate bowl combine and mix the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.


-Using an electric mixer add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. 
It should now look like this.


-If you are adding in chocolate chips now is the time to do so. I didn't measure them but just added until I thought there was enough. I used about half of a small bag.

-Pour batter into a greased 13x10 baking pan, and bake for 30 minutes. 
Or until fork comes out clean from the middle. 



-Let cool completely before cutting or icing. If you have a wire rack for cooling I highly recommend using it.


-While your squares are baking in the oven, you can start on your icing.

-Combine sugar, vanilla, butter, and cream cheese with an electric mixer until very light and fluffy. The longer you mix the icing the more whipped and fluffy it will become. 

-Side Note: While I did double the recipe for the squares, I did not for the icing because it makes a ton. I also use a very thin layer of icing because it is very rich.

-Ice your cake and then cut into squares!


Ta-Da!

You can store your icing in the refrigerator until you need to use it. I also like to sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the icing for presentation. I promise you can't go wrong with these pumpkin squares! And please don't skip out on making the icing yourself, it's incredibly easy and way tastier!

If you missed my Pumpkin Whip Dip recipe check it out HERE.

Happy Thanksgiving Lovelies!




1 comment:

  1. Tried this cake today Lyndsey (with a couple minor changes to make it slightly healthier) and it's delicious!!! The hubs already asked me if i'd make a cake for him to share at their annual Christmas party!

    ReplyDelete

LOVELY THOUGHTS