Thursday, October 20, 2011

beat winter blues- part 1

 If you are anything like me, winter is the most dreaded time of year. From packing on pounds, to frizzy-fried hair, to stressed out skin, and everything in between, the only thing good about winter are the holidays and cute coats. Once I feel that crisp fall air hit my skin I know it's time to take all the extra necessary steps to protect it, my hair, and body + soul from freaking out.


This will be a three-part post on how to beat those winter blues, starting with hair. 



It goes without being said that Fish Oil is one of the best vitamins you can take, especially as a woman. Yes it does promote heart health, boost weight loss, clear acne, fight off sickness, improve vision, combat depression, and more, but it is also amazing for hair! The Omega 3 in fish oil prevents hair loss, and adds shine among other things. Your hair will love you for taking this especially throughout the winter months. I buy the Up + Up brand from Target.



Throughout the winter your scalp will inevitably get a little (or a lot) dried out. Do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of Head + Shoulders (nobody at the store will judge you, I promise) and rotate it in with your regular shampoo every other day. Trust me your scalp and hair will thank you. Or try this at-home remedy from The Beauty Department that I love. And as tempting as it is to take a steaming hot shower, wash your hair with lukewarm water. Hot water will damage it and break the cuticles. 



Use a conditioner that has something to do with moisture or hydration. Or at least rotate one in every other day with your regular conditioner. When the winter air strips all of the moisture from your hair, it needs a little extra help to stay hydrated and healthy. Stay away from products that list alcohol in their ingredients. Hello Hydration by Herbal Essences is a great, budget friendly choice. When you are rinsing your conditioner out, use cool water (it just takes a second) to seal the cuticle and add shine!



Once or twice a week treat your hair to a deep conditioning treatment. 
I have always loved Aussie's 3-minute Miracle. Great price too!





More than ever, in the winter months hair needs tons of protection. You don't want to overload your hair with a 100 products that weigh it down and make it greasy, but 2 after shower (before drying time) products are perfect. Pick 2 that do opposite things. I have trouble with split ends so I always use my Nexxus treatment and I have just recently become completely obsessed with the It's a Ten line. If you can stomach the price the It's a Ten- Miracle Leave-in Product or Moroccan Oil are totally worth it! If you need something more budget friendly try TRESemme Heat Tamer spray. 



Wooden brushes reduce static, so switch it up if you are using plastic. 
Try something like this Hana K brush from Ulta. 


I know this is going to sound strange but it is one of the best tips I have ever learned. Carry dryer sheets with you to swipe over hair when static won't give in. Works like a miracle every time. It took me a while to find a scent that didn't remind me of laundry. I love these Rice Milk + Mallow ones from Method (which I also love). I usually can find them at Lowe's, Babies'R'Us, and other really random places. Just keep a pack in your car for static emergencies.





I have mentioned before I try as often as possible not to blow-dry my hair (especially if I am curling it), but sometimes there is just no getting around it, especially in the winter. If you don't have an ionic hair dryer invest in one. They speed up drying time, so your hair spends less time getting damaged, and increases shine. There are so many options at Ulta for every budget. 


Last but not least get a cute loose-fitting beret, or two and pull all your hair into it when outside. It will protect your hair from breaking in the harsh cold. Or use a scarf.





1 comment:

  1. Love this post. My hair is SO dry & damaged now from coloring it, it looks like a frizz ball lately so I need this kind of help.

    One thing my stylist did say is to shampoo, rinse, then turn off the water & towel dry your hair before conditioning. Less water in your hair allows it to soak up the conditioner's moisturizers better! :)

    ReplyDelete

LOVELY THOUGHTS